Individuals with attention deficit disorder have problems with self-regulation and self-motivation because they get distracted, or procrastinate, or lack organizational skills or the ability to prioritize. It is a chronic condition beginning in early childhood. ADHD is a condition in which the brain cannot ignore unimportant stimuli.
Current research shows that certain strains of medical marijuana can allow the patient to “focus” on their project. Marijuana was used as a replacement for other medications (Ritalin or Methylphenidate). Chronic symptoms of ADHD are improved with the use of medical marijuana.
- Hyper-impulsivity (restless, agitation, RLS (restless leg syndrome)-THC binds to the CB1 receptors to modulate and decrease neuronal activity. Thus providing a calming effect.
- Anxiety-CBD binds to CB2 cannabinoid receptors. CBD is an anti-anxiety agent. CBD also reduces THC’s psychoactive (adverse) effects.
- Panic Attacks-THC helps to decondition CB1 receptors.
- Hyper sensibility to stressful situations-THC/CBD act to relieve anxiety and fear.
- Lack of attention-THC slows the ADHD brain’s over activity so patient can remain focused on project at hand.
- Insomnia-THC slows the brain
- Depressive tendency-THC binds to CB1 receptors to allow serotonin release.
- Alcoholism tendency-cannabis as a substitute.
- Tics-THC proven treatment for Tourette’s syndrome.
- OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder)-personality disorder
- PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder), mood disorders, all helped with cannabis.
- Sexual hyperactivity- cannabis to treat successfully.
- Gaming mania-cannabis to treat successfully.